Breidablik Real Estate Information

What was good enough for Ole M Abel in 1892 also was good enough for a citizens advisory committee when it was trying to think up a name for a new school nearly a century later. Abel had a store and post office on his homestead near what is now Lofall court. When he was granted the post office franchise for his store in 1892, he had to come up with a name. He selected the name "Breidablik," which in Norse mythology is the home of Baldur, the god of love and beauty. It became the name for an area extending from just south of present day Lofall north to Four Corners ( the intersection of Big Valley Road and Highway 3). In 1990, the citizens committee needed a name for a new elementary school on Waghorn Road, about one and half miles south of the site of Abel’s first post office. After considering a long list of names, the committee agreed with Abel’s choice and settled on Breidablik to honor local history.

The Rev. David Wymer is on who wholeheartedly agrees with the committee’s choice. " I think naming the new school after Breidablik helped keep it on the map," Wymer said. He is right in both the literal and figurative sense, although some of the maps spell Breidablik with a "c" before the "k." Wymer is pastor of Breidablik Baptist Church. The congregation worships at the old Breidablik Chapel, the little white church east of Highway 3 a half mile north of its intersection with Pioneer Hill Road. Wymer and his congregation of 50 lease the little chapel from John Weiss in exchange for paying the taxes. Weiss formerly lived in a home on the land surrounding the church, and owned and operated a nearby sawmill. He now lives at Martha and Mary Nursing Home in Poulsbo. The church was built in 1908 on an acre of land donated by Hans Anderson. According to Wymer, the church was built from lumber donated by the old Port Gamble Mill and brought to the site on an old wagon road which still can be seen by the church. A cemetery surrounds the church and contains the graves of many of the pioneer settlers of Breidablik. The main cemetery for the area, however, is located a little over a mile north on the highway and a few hundred yard west on Pioneer Way. Near the main cemetery is the site of the first Breidablik school, which was built in 1893.

According to Janet Clark, who lives in the area and is familiar with its history, the land for the school and cemetery was donated by Gilbert Paulson. His niece is Martha Lofall, who still lives in the area. Vestiges of the old school can still be seen in back of the new Breidablik Community Hall.