Indianola Real Estate Information

Once upon a time in the not so distant past-1916- Indianola came into existence. The Indianola Beach Land Company was formed by WL Gazzman. The real estate agency surveyed, platted and built roads. Then it was advertised as a summer community and lots were sold. At this time, there was only one route into an out of Indianola and that was by steamboat. The first dock, constructed in 1916 to accommodate prospective buyers, was only wide enough for people to walk up. In 1916 the brochure printed to advertise lots quoted: "You can live at Indianola Beach and work in Seattle." However, daily service didn’t start until about 1918 when about a dozen people promised to buy tickets for a year.

The first store in Indianola was at the corner of Shore Dr and Madrona. It also served as the post office and the owner, Goe Hall, would row to Suquamish to pick up the mail. The following year, 1917, the post office was moved to the Beachcomber (on the present site of the post office) operated by George Rodgers. In 1920 CB Pickrell and his sons built another store directly across from the Beachcomber (where the parking lot is now) and the post office was relocated again. (It had been discontinued by Mr. Rodgers.) At one time there were three stores in Indianola, two of which has soda fountains and eventually gas pumps.

In the beginning, there was only one boat run in the early morning and one in the late afternoon. The afternoon boat would carry freight, mail and food as well as passengers. As time went on, the ride which took about an hour , got more and more crowded. During the 1920’s, service improved, until in 1929 there were three round trips to Seattle a day. Eventually a boat was coming into Indianola every two hours.

During the 190’s life, especially in the winter time, was very dull for the residents. Some of the ladies of the community has the idea of starting a library. But instead of just having a one-room library, they decided to have a town meeting hall too. Everyone pitched in to help raise money. In the summers of 1927 and 1928 Indianola had auctions, street carnivals and raffles to buy the land and built the clubhouse. Finally it was built in 1930. It is the one that is still standing today.

In 1920, Indianola has a one-room school built where the tennis court is today. There was no electricity and there were out door toilets. The older students helped to teach the younger ones. The last school year was 1940-41. The entire school budget of $1,750 was the teacher’s salary. After this time the children went to Suquamish. In the late 1940’s the old school house was used as a Catholic Church on Sundays, it sat empty for several years and then in 1960 a regular non-denominational service was started. In 1975 the old school house was moved up the hill in its present location.

IN the late 1920’s a road was put in between Kingston and Indianola(against opposition from residents who wanted Indianola to stay rustic) and power lines were strung. The first "fire department" was established when Kingston donated a hose cart and a few standpipes were put in. A garage was built on to the clubhouse which became the fire station. Eventually a "real" fire district was formed and upgraded over the years. A new station was built in 1973. In 1987 our district merged with Fire District 10 of Kingston.

As it is now, the dock in all its many shapes has always been the focal point of Indianola. In the early days there was a warehouse and a covered waiting area at the end and stairs in the middle of the dock leading to the sand, which were submerged in water half the time. The end of the perfect weekend was a stroll down the dock to wave good-bye to guest, knowing that you didn’t have to get on that boat.

In the late 1930’s, Black Ball Line took over the ferry system and the dock was widened to accommodate cars. In 1950, the Agate Pass bridge was built and ferry service to Indianola was finally discontinued in the fall of 1951.

In 1933 a Port Commission was formed to collect taxes and take care of the maintenance of the dock and float for the enjoyment of residents of Indianola. In 1971 the dock was rebuilt to what it is today. Over the years, Indianola has slowly changed from a small summer community into a year round place to live. This has come about because "summer people" have decided to take up full-time residence, the children and grandchildren of our early residents have grown to love Indianola just as their grandparents did and many people have just "discovered" Indianola. However, our village still seems to retain its rustic character and there is a special "something" about the people of Indianola to get involved in their community.

Today we still have an active community club, the Indianola Beach Improvement Club. There are officers and twelve trustees voted by the members of the club who run the business of the Club. They meet monthly at the clubhouse and all are welcome to attend. The yearly dues are minimal; however, with these dues and the involvement of the community, we are able to put on many functions for the residents of the town. The Club has also published a more detailed history of our village, a copy of which should be in every Indianola home.