Keyport Real Estate Information

It seems only yesterday that trails were being blazed through the dense forests, necessitating weeks of travel to reach other places, where now the same places may be reached within a few moments over paved highways. Tribute is due to those early pioneers, who with brave hearts and courage of steel, paved the way for the wonderful progress made, now a town.

One of the first settlers came to Keyport from Seattle at the time that Seattle was a small town on the waterfront, with one or two small docks, a hotel or two, small stores, etc. - so early pioneers saw Seattle grow as well as the development of the surrounding country in general. One of the first homesteads settled was about two miles south of the town site of Keyport. There was one settler at that time, on the south side, a bachelor what had cleared a small place and planted some fruit trees.

There was no steamboat transportation for two or three years and the early settlers rowed to Seattle and Port Madison, then a thriving mill town, where they sold small fruit and what vegetables they had. Port Madison was the post office, and at that time, the county seat. Finally a boat came up the bay twice a week, the fare being $1.00 each way. Later a daily boat came to Poulsbo. Settlers along the shores and from inland rowed out to Point Abbot, known as Cape Horn, to meet the boat. There were few docks, and passengers were picked up by rowing to that town, which took time and patience to say nothing of energy to combat winds and tide.

There were no roads - just trails through the woods from one homestead to the other. The first road was the one from Keyport to Tracyton, the next from Keyport to Brownsville, known as John Ogle road.

A great deal could be said about the privations of the early pioneer. Doing without luxury of any sort, only transportation by the blazed trail and the rowboat. Few tools were available with which to do his work, but always hopefully looking forward to a better day, watching the progress being made. It took strong hearts and a true pioneer spirit to emerge undaunted in those trying days.

Keyport got its name because it was expected to be the ‘key’ port for a growing city of Poulsbo. U.S. Naval Torpedo Station - During the period 1909 to 1914, the Navy investigated every available location between British Columbia and San Diego for a still water range eminently suited for testing of torpedoes and which offered efficient shipping facilities to all points of the Pacific. In June, 1909, Navy personnel had surveyed the land surrounding Keyport and in 1910 the waters adjacent to the station were surveyed for depth, tides and so forth. Keyport was selected as an ideal site to provide a station on the Pacific Coast for the storage, modification, repair and test of torpedoes.

In June, 1910, Congress appropriated $145,000 for the purchase of 88-acres of land, clearing and grading, protection of waterfront, wharf firing and observation stations, necessary buildings and equipment and employment of such civilian assistance as might be required.

By condemnation proceedings, 88 acres of hard land was purchased January 10, 1914, and the station was formally commissioned in November, 1914, as the Pacific Coast Torpedo Station.